Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah (HSB) officially operated at its new building complex on 29 July 2007 after a complete transfer and replacing Hospital Alor Setar. Located 6 km from the centre of Alor Setar City, and within the sight of the PLUS North-South Highway, its location makes Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah easily accessible to the public. Surrounded by a vast area of paddy fields, this building complex incorporates 4 main buildings, namely the Medical Support Block, Ward Block, Main Block and Non-Medical Support Block.
In its early days, HSB provided services at secondary and tertiary levels with 10 fields of basic expertise and 28 sub-expertise. Currently, the basic expertise has grown into 17 specialties base with 42 sub expertise. In line with the new technology, this hospital has implemented the online Total Hospital Information System (THIS) on 23 December 2008, thus guaranteeing high quality services. HSB was chosen to implement the Malaysia DRG case-mix program in year 2015 and in 2016, HSB became one of the cluster hospitals, a regional referral centre for 12 health clinics in the district of Alor Setar and Pendang, 8 government hospitals and 11 private hospitals in Kedah, Perlis and Pulau Pinang.
Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah is committed to provide the highest quality of healthcare with affordable specialist care for patients, training for doctors and other healthcare professionals as well as to conduct research according to international standards.
- Internal Medicine Physician
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Pulmonary Medicine Physician
- Paediatric / Neonatal
- Paediatric Dental
- Pharmaceutical Supplies
- Dietetics and Food Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Medical Social Work
- Oral Surgery
- Infectious Disease Specialist
Clinical Research Centre (CRC) / Clinical Research Malaysia (CRM) – Kedah
- Establish on 11 August 2008
- Currently has 3 Medical Officers, 2 Pharmacists, 3 Research Officers, 5 CRM Study Coordinators and 2 Research Nurses.
- The Head of Unit, Datuk Dr. Muhammad Radzi Abu Hassan is a Consultant Physician & Gastroenterologist and Hepatology who actively conducts both investigator initiated research (IIR) and industry sponsored research (ISR).
- On top of ISR, the CRC of Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah had also excelled in IIR over the past 3 years. Some of the major achievements are as follows:
- CRC with the highest number of publication per researcher in 2017.
- Research papers published in a number of prestigious international journals, including JAMA Oncology, The Lancet, and The New England Journal of Medicine.
- Young Investigator Award in the National Conference for Clinical Research (NCCR) received by Mr Chan Huan Keat (CRC’s pharmacist) in 2017.
- Dato’ Eisah’s Award for the Best State in Pharmacy Research 2017.
- CRC HSB is also the coordinating center and facilitator for several nationwide patient registry, including:
- National Cancer Patient Registry – Colorectal Cancer (NCPR-CC).
- National Endoscopy Registry.
- National Liver Registry.
- National Otorhinolaryngology Registry.
- National Obstetrics Registry.
- CRC and CRM at HSB are also actively engaged in R & D training activities. Some of the activities organized or facilitated include:
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Workshop.
- Scientific Writing Workshop.
- Introduction to Clinical Research.
- Biostatistics Workshop.
- Epidemiological Research Method Workshop in collaboration with the Notre Dame University, Indiana, United States.
Dedicated Clinical Trial Facility
- The CRC at HSB is equipped with Freezer -20 °C, Freezer -80 °C, Fridge 2-8 °C, temperature monitoring system, temperature-controlled centrifuge, syringe pump, electrocardiograph and emergency cart.
- Documents storage area, rooms for meeting/monitoring with internet access.
- Dedicated area for patient examination and review by investigator.
START UP TIMELINES, METRICS, QUALITY AND ACHIEVEMENTS
IQVIA™ Prime Site
- Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah was selected as one of the 12 Prime Site in Malaysia
- Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah enrolled patients up to 25% when faster compared with other sites (2017).
- Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah enrolled up to 3% more patients for all the IQVIA trials (2017)
PARAXEL – Preferred Sites Network
- Preferred Site for clinical trials.
- Aim to drive clinical trial efficiencies, improve reliability of delivery and deliver healthcare benefits to patients.
- PARAXEL works with the leadership team to increase the flow of clinical trial opportunities.