Hospital Sultan Ismail Johor Bahru (HSIJB) began fully operational in May 2006 and was the second hospital in Malaysia that has started using the electronic system Total Hospital Information System (THIS). It currently has 18 specialists services with 21 subspecialties. HSIJB is a tertiary specialist hospital that is the main oncology centre in the southern region of Malaysia. Besides having a paediatric palliative care centre, it also has its own Clinical Research Centre (CRC) that supports both Industry Sponsored Research (ISR) as well as Investigator Initiated Research (IIR).
Population Served in 2017
Best Medical Practice Award 2017
- On 30th January 2018, Hospital Sultan Ismail has been recognized as one of the ‘Best Regional Hospital’ and its Hospital’s Director, Dr Hjh Azizah binti Riduan has been recognized as one of the ‘Best Manager of the Year’.
- This event named ‘Best Medical Practice Project’ has been conducted by the Europe Business Assembly, UK (EBA) and European Medical Association, Belgium (EMA) at Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina, Dubai International Convention & Exhibition Centre.
- Dato Dr Ghazali Ismail represented HSIJB in receiving the award.
Clinical Research Centre (CRC) / Clinical Research Malaysia (CRM)
- Established in October 2012
- It currently has 2 Medical Officers (MO), 5 Research Officers (RO), 1 Medical Assistant (MA) and 2 Study Coordinators (SC)
- The Head of Unit, Dato Dr Ghazali bin Ismail who is a Gynaecologist actively conducts both IIR and ISR. He also motivates his specialist and MOs in conducting research.
- Every year, more than 5 trainings and courses are conducted, and this include Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Introductory Course to Clinical Research (ICCR), Basic Statistics Course, Basic Research Methodology, Introduction and Awareness of NMRR and GCP Refresher Course
- CRM began placing 2 Study Coordinators in November 2015 to facilitate the increasing amount of ISR conducted at HSIJB
- In 2017, CRM provided funds for the construction of a new CRC office in view of the existing CRC that has been fully occupied.
- CRM’s study coordinators work closely with the Pharmacy Department for drug reconstitution, IP storage and IP temperature monitoring
- CRC HSIJB conducts Good Clinical Practice Workshop (GCP) in almost every year since 2014. From this course, new potential investigators have been identified every year from different disciplines.
Clinical Trial Facilities
- Freezer -80°C and -20°C, refrigerator 2-8°C, temperature monitoring device, refrigerated centrifuge, ECG, calibrated BP machine, infusion pump, calibrated weighing scale.
- Assessment bed, consultation room, monitoring room and document storage area.