Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun (HRPB) is currently the third largest Ministry of Health Hospital after Hospital Kuala Lumpur and Hospital Pulau Pinang. It is the main regional referral (tertiary) hospital for the state of Perak with major subspecialties servicing 14 other hospitals and 52 heath clinics. HRPB is also an active training centre for undergraduate, postgraduate, basic nursing and post basic nursing programs.
Population Served in 2016
Patient Population: 72,413 (in-patients) , 579,694 (out-patients including A&E patients)
Anaesthesiology (Pain Therapy Clinic and Accupuncture), Cardiology, Dental Oral Surgery, Dermatology, Dietetic, Emergency and Trauma, Endocrinology ,Haematology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology , Neurosurgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Pathology, Paediatrics, Paediatric Oncology, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry and Mental Health, Radiology, Rheumatology, Respiratory Medicine, Sports Medicine, Surgery (Endoscopy, Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery Facilities), Women’s Health and all major surgical disciplines.
8-level hospital complex with 990 bed capacity (includes 16 adult intensive care beds, 8 adult coronary care beds, 7 pediatric intensive care (PICU) beds and 12 neonatal intensive care (NICU) beds), 16 operating halls, specialist clinic complex and a 4-Level Ambulatory Care Center (ACC). Specialized equipment include CT Scan, Ultrasound, MRI, BMD, Advanced Cardiology Unit, Fluoroscopy, Mammography and Interventional Radiology.
148 Specialists, 298 Medical Officers, 119 Pharmacists, 5 Dieticians, 1619 Nurses, 165 Medical Assisstants, 97 Lab Technicians. CRC and CRM Clinical Trial Support staffs: Administrative Manager, 5 Medical Officers, 4 Pharmacist, 2 Biostaticisions, 3 Research Asssitants and 5 CRM Study Coordinators.
Clinical Research Centre (CRC) / Clinical Research Malaysia (CRM) – Perak
- The site has dynamic and proactive regional CRC and CRM with dedicated staff including healthcare professional associates and resources.
- They have actively encourage clinicians to cultivate interest towards clinical research that improves patient care. By building a close relationship with CRM, the hospital also aims to accelerate the growth of industrial sponsored clinical trials.
- On average more than 10 trainings are conducted yearly such as Post Basic (Nursing) proposal and data analysis workshop, Qualitative workshop, Literature Searching and Referencing Workshop, Questionnaire validation and Reliability Test workshop, SPSS Analysis Workshop, Study Coordinator Hands-On Workshop, GCP Refresher, Recruitment and Retention workshop, Protocol Deviation Awareness Workshop and FDA / Inspection Workshop
- The site also extend their support and assistance to other district hospital in Perak as Hospital Seri Manjung, Taiping and all the health clinics in Perak.
Dedicated Clinical Trial Facility
- Clinical Trial Hub equipped with Freezer -30°C , Freezer -80°C, Fridge 2 – 8°C , Temperature Monitoring System, Temperature-Controlled Centrifuge, Portable Centrifuge, Syringe Pump ,Infusion Pump, ECG Machine and emergency cart.
- Documents storage area, rooms for meeting/monitoring and internet.
- Dedicated area for patient examination and review.
Start Up Timelines, Metrics, Quality and Achievements
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Availability of CRM SOPs at site enable site to use it as reference/guide for the conduct of clinical trial.
- Each CRM SCs are certified and they are able to train other hospital site staff on the proper conduct of clinical trial.
HRPB as Prime Site and Inspire Site
- In collaboration with CRC, CRM and Quintiles, HRPB along with another 11 hospitals were selected as Prime Site.This partnership enables to benchmark Malaysia with other global countries for these contributing factors; increase number of clinical trial, improve start up timeline, High quality and meet/exceed patient recruitment targets.
- Pfizer.recommended HRPB to be a potential site to participate in a Pfizer’s INSPIRE Site Program, part of the Investigator Networks, Site Partnerships and Infrastructure for Research Excellence Program.
INSPIRE Site Program:
- Preferred.site or Pfizer’s clinical trials.
- Pfizer will provide investigator training and site development support.
- INSPIRE sites are a strategic set of sites.that are highly productive and effective.
- Site will have the privileges of having early access to Pfizer portfolio and advanced information regarding clinical trials sponsored by Pfizer.
- At any one time between 20-25 clinical trials are ongoing, particularly Phase II and III multicenter trials in Paediatrics, Rheumatology, Nephrology, Endocrine, Psychiatry, Hematology and other disciplines.
- Has keen investigators, conducting trials of diverse therapeutic areas, with some achieving highest recruitment target.
- To date most of the clinicians are GCP trained.
- Top recruiter for Malaysia site for Neuroscience, Nephrology and Dermatology studies.
- Dr Sree Kantan Nayar (Klinik Kesihatan Greentown) – Awarded for “The Highest Number of Newly approved ISR among Primary Health Clinics in Malaysia in year 2016 “.
Site Overall Involvement in Clinical Trials (All Sponsors)